Care home life - what it's really like
Do you know anyone who is a resident of a care home in Sunderland?
We want to hear what it's like!
Initial research undertaken by Independent Age and Healthwatch Camden indicates that there is a need to provide qualitative information that goes beyond basic safety standards around local care homes. It shows that the information needed by people looking for a suitable care home, should provide a real sense of what a home may be like to live in.
As a result Healthwatch Sunderland have now started out visits to all 47 care homes currently available to older people across Sunderland. The complete results will be published to enable members of the public to make more informed choices when considering which care home to move into for themselves or their relatives.
To enable this, 8 indicators have been devised to be used and will focus specifically on issues of quality, rather than safety, such as how much residents and family can have a say in how the home is run, and whether residents are able to pursue their hobbies etc.
The 8 indicators are:
1. A strong visible management
2. Staff with time and skills to do their jobs
3. Good knowledge of each individual resident and how their needs may be changing
4. A varied programme of activities
5. Quality, choice and flexibility around food and mealtimes
6. Ensuring residents can regularly see health professionals such as GPs, dentists, opticians or chiropodists
7. Accommodate resident's personal, cultural and lifestyle needs
8. Provide an open environment where feedback is actively sought and used.
So if you live in a care home in Sunderland or know someone who does you can share your views and experiences by calling (0191) 514 7145 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on the 'our report' link below for further information. Please note any surveys received after the reports have been published have not been included in the final report.
Coalfield - Copt Hill - Hetton - Houghton - Shiney Row
Dairy Lane Care Centre
Valley View & The Lodge
Sunderland East - Doxford - Hendon - Millfield - Ryhope - St Michael's
Belle Vue House
St Mark's Nursing Home
Sunderland North - St Peter's - Fulwell - Southwick - Redhill - Castle
Alexandra View Care Centre
Bryony Park Nursing Home
Highcliffe Care Centre
Sunderland West - Barnes - Pallion - Sandhill - Silksworth - St Anne's - St Chad's