What the Ambassador role involves
An Ageing Well Ambassador is a voluntary role for an adult, aged 50+, who will take action to help raise awareness and spread the age-friendly message to others, so ageing well people's voices continue to be heard in communities across Sunderland.
Ambassadors will be co-designers with partners of age-friendly ideas, initiatives, and developments across the city.
Ambassadors may promote Age Friendly Sunderland within their workplace, sports team, place of worship, with family and friends or anywhere in their community.
Who are they looking for
Acting as a volunteer, the Ageing Well Ambassador's role is a flexible one, both in terms of time commitment and types of activities undertaken.
Ambassadors could contribute on a regular basis, by promoting and supporting age-friendly initiatives, or may wish to find ways to link their role in with the work they already do.
The role will suit anyone who is willing to connect with others and is passionate about having their say on issues affecting older people.
What an Ageing Well Ambassador could do
- Raise awareness and promote age-friendly initiatives within your workplace, community or to the general public
- Spread the message, talk to people about it, be an 'age positive' champion
- Feedback information or questions to the Ageing Well Board for prompt resolution
- Share information on social media relating to Age Friendly Sunderland
- Make sure that the voice of people who are ageing well is heard by encouraging people to take part in consultations, campaigns and other opportunities for people to contribute
- Encourage change when services are inaccessible or exclude ageing well people, making suggestions for adaptations and signposting for advice and guidance
- Promote age-friendly initiatives
- Encourage local businesses to sign up to age-friendly initiatives
Support and benefits for volunteers
All Volunteer Ageing Well Ambassadors will receive the following:
- Opportunities to meet the other Ambassadors
- Share ideas and make recommendations on issues affecting ageing well people through the Ageing Well Board
- Receive support from the Council's Community Resilience Team
- Contribute to specific projects as a valued peer
- Participate in online training where appropriate
- Benefit from a buddy system
- Support the design and delivery of an annual event
How do I sign up
You can sign up on this link it takes 2 minutes