Making an NHS complaint

If you have concerns about any aspect of your healthcare, or the service you receive within any NHS service it is best to speak to a member of staff involved with your care. If the staff cannot help you, or you are not comfortable speaking to them you may want to make a formal complaint about an NHS service.

Do you require support?

If you require support to make a complaint VoiceAbility can offer both information and practical support:

0300 303 1660

Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm

If you want to make a complaint about a: GP practice, dental practice, pharmacy or optician service, etc.

Either contact the services Practice Manager or directly to NHS England if you prefer.

NHS England can be contacted on:

0300 311 22 33

Mon – Fri 8am – 6pm Wed 9.30am – 6pm

If you want to make a complaint about: Sunderland hospitals (including Sunderland Royal and Sunderland Eye Infirmary) and hospices etc.

Contact the Advice & Complaints Service to express a concern, make a complaint or to offer a compliment.

0191 569 9855 or Freephone: 08005876513

Mon-Fri 8:30am - 5pm

If you want to make a complaint about: North East Ambulance Services plus NHS 111 service

Contact the North East Ambulance Service

0191 430 2152

Open: Mon – Fri 8am – 5pm

Or NEAS Patient Liaison Service (PALS) - offer confidential advice, support and information to sort out any concerns you may have.

0800 0320 202

Mon – Fri 9am – 4.30pm

I’ve made a complaint to the service or provider, but am unhappy with the response.  What do I do next?

If your issue has not been resolved contact the Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman.

You can complain to them if an organisation has not acted properly or fairly or has given you a poor service and not put things right. They make final decisions on complaints that have not been sorted out by the NHS in England, UK government departments and some other UK public organisations.

 0345 015 4033

Mon – Fri 8.30am – 5.30pm