Who do I complain to about a social care service? (e.g. home care services or nursing homes)

If you have concerns about any aspect your care, or the care of someone you know, it is best to speak to a member of staff involved with the care. Issues can often be addressed and resolved quickly before they escalate without the need to make a formal complaint.


Raise the issue with the provider directly.


Complain to Sunderland City Council, which commissions many social care services locally. They are also in charge of social care assessments and social workers.

0191 561 1078


For further information visit:

I’ve made a complaint to the provider OR the commissioner, but am unhappy with the response.  What do I do next?

You should not complain to both the provider itself and the commissioner – this will delay getting the issue resolved. Instead, if you are unhappy with the response to your complaint, next you can submit a complaint to:

The Local Government Ombudsman, if your complaint is about social care. To find out more information about making a complaint, you can call the Ombudsman on

0300 061 0614